Today afternoon, an Open Parliament seminar will take place in the Conference Hall…
At today’s remote-participation sitting, the Riigikogu passed three Resolutions under which, in the…
Work of the Anti-Corruption Select Committee
The Anti-Corruption Select Committee of the Riigikogu monitors that the anti-corruption measures provided for in Estonian Acts are actually implemented. The Select Committee discusses and assesses the potential incidents of corruption involving officials specified in the Act, exercises supervision over compliance with the restrictions on activities of the members of the Riigikogu and verifies the declarations of interests. The Select Committee submits an overview of its activities to the Riigikogu once a year.
The Anti-Corruption Select Committee is formed for the performance of the functions arising from the Anti-Corruption Act and in order to contribute to uniform application of corruption prevention measures.
The Select Committee:
- exercises parliamentary scrutiny over the implementation of anti-corruption measures, organises meetings with representatives of government agencies, and representatives of law enforcement authorities from e.g. the Internal Security Service, the Criminal Police and the Prosecutor’s Office, to collect information
- discusses at its own the initiative potential incidents of corruption involving officials specified in subsection 13 (1) of the Anti-Corruption Act and assesses these
- exercises supervision over compliance with the restrictions on activities of the members of the Riigikogu
- verifies the declarations of interests within its competence
- informs the Riigikogu and the public of the results of its anti-corruption activities
The Select Committee has the right to summon persons and request information and documents for examination. It also has the right to make proposals to amend Acts. If elements of an offence become evident, the Select Committee forwards the materials to an investigative body or body conducting extra-judicial misdemeanour proceedings.
Your feedback is important. Please share it with us!