Foreign relations of the Riigikogu are managed by the Foreign Affairs Committee and the delegations of the Riigikogu. The President of the Riigikogu, other committees and factions, as well as individual members of the Riigikogu, for example through the parliamentary groups, also deal with foreign relations.
Under the Foreign Relations Act, the President of the Republic, the Government of the Republic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and ohter state agencies and local governments, according to their competence, also represent tha Republic of Estonia in foreign relations, in addition to the Riigikogu.
- passes Acts and resolutions relating to foreign relations;
- ratifies and denounces treaties;
- presents statements, declarations and communications concerning foreign policy or accedes to them;
- conducts relations with the parliaments of other states and with interparliamentary organisations, and forms foreign delegations;
- decides upon the use of the defence forces in performance of international duties of Estonia;
- during its spring session,discusses the foreign policy of the state and its implementation on the basis of a report from the Government of the Republic.
Foreign Affairs Committee:
- coordinates the foreign relations of the Riigikogu;
- presents draft legislation concerning the formation of the delegations of the Riigikogu;
- monitors the activities of the delegations and parliamentary groups.
Delegations of the Riigikogu:
- are formed to communicate with interparliamentary organisations;
- develop interparliamentary relations;
- participate in international forums in order to shape the positions supporting the interests of Estonia.
Besides the Foreign Affairs Committee and the delegations, the President of the Riigikogu, other committees, factions and individual members of the Riigikogu, for example through the parliamentary groups, also deal with the foreign relations of the Riigikogu.
Your feedback is important. Please share it with us!