The Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian delegations participating in the Plenary Meeting of the Conference of Parliamentary Committees for European Union Affairs of Parliaments of the EU (COSAC) adopted a joint statement in support of Ukraine. The Statement calls on giving Ukraine clear European Union perspective and finding a unified way for easing access to labour market, education and medical aid for the Ukrainian refugees. The signatories also call on Russia and Belarus to create humanitarian corridors for safe movement of civilians and humanitarian aid.
“We, representing the European Affairs Committees of the Parliaments of the Estonian, Lithuanian and the Latvian Republics:
- welcome and support the Presidential Troika statement in support of Ukraine attacked by the Russian Federation;
- strongly condemn the aggression of the Russian Federation against Ukraine as Russia continues the military attack on Ukraine and Ukrainian civilians;
- welcome the level of solidarity shown by the member states and the EU institutions in their unified response towards in both sanctioning the aggressor and helping the Ukrainian people;
- call on the member states to grant Ukraine the status of a candidate country of the European Union and give Ukraine a strong and clear European Union membership perspective;
- call on the member states to substantially increase the financial support to Ukraine and its people through the European Peace Facility;
- call on the member states to provide protection to the Ukrainian refugees and to quickly find a unified way to ease their access to job market, education, health care and to other vital services;
- call on Russia and Belarus to create humanitarian corridors that ensure the free and safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian ”
On behalf of the Estonian delegation, the Statement was signed by member of the European Union Affairs Committee of the Riigikogu (Parliament of Estonia) Margit Sutrop. The Estonian delegation also includes members of the European Union Affairs Committee of the Riigikogu Tarmo Kruusimäe, Anti Poolamets, Riina Sikkutand Timo Suslov.
The Plenary Meeting of the Conference of Parliamentary Committees for Union Affairs of Parliaments of the European Union was held in Paris, France, from 3 to 5 March.